Background

Saturday, January 21, 2012

French Onion Soup...

Since today was a super rainy, yucky outside kind of day, it made for a perfect soup day!  I have been promising Jake that I would make French Onion Soup for a while and decided today was the day.  I could not find the recipe that I used before so I 'revised' a recipe that I found in the Atlanta Cooknotes Cookbook and it turned out yummy!  SO yummy even the girls enjoyed it!  Yea soup!

SO to start with you need (remember these are my revisions)...3 medium-large thinly sliced sweet onions, 3 TBS of butter, 1 TBS of oil, 1 tsp of salt, 1/4 tsp of sugar, 4 TBS of AP flour, 2 14oz cans of undiluted beef broth, 3 cans of water, 1/2 cup white wine, salt and pepper to taste, 1 TBS Worcestershire sauce, four slices of french bread and 1&1/2 cups grated Swiss cheese




Cook onions in butter and oil covered over low heat for 15 minutes.



Uncover and increase to moderate heat.  Add salt and sugar.  Cook 30-40 minutes, stirring often.  Blend in flour and stir 3 minutes until smooth.



Stir in beef broth and 1 can of water.  Boil remaining 2 cans of water and add to mixture along with white wine, salt and pepper and Worcestershire sauce.  Simmer 30-40 minutes.



Add grated Swiss cheese to french bread and toast. 



Pour soup into bowl and add grilled cheese toast. 





mmmmm



Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment