Background

Friday, April 13, 2012

Harvest Vegetable & Beef Soup (Jake's fav meal)...

This is a uber-YUMMY healthy vegetable soup....here is the original recipe from the Family Fun magazine...and my changes in red.  Although I must admit I think it changes every time I make it!  :)   Enjoy!

Makes 8-10 servings!

3 TBS vegetable oil
1 LB stew beef, cut into bite-sized pieces
flour, for dredging
1 large or 2 medium-size onions, halved and thinly sliced
1 C thinly sliced mushroom caps
2 cloves garlic, minced (I use the kind in the jar)
7 C beef broth (I usually use 8 cups, they way it comes in the package)
salt & pepper to taste
2 C winter squash, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch cubes (I have no idea what winter squash is so I use yellow- and I do not peel it)
1 large baking potato, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch cubes (I do not peel the potatoes)
2 large carrots, peeled and thinly sliced (I do not peel the potatoes)
1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
1 tsp basil (I do not add this, usually I do not have it in my cabinet)
1/2 tsp thyme (I do not add this, usually I do not have it in my cabinet)
4-5 C Swiss chard, rinsed, stemmed and coarsely chopped (I specifically planted this in the garden this winter because I had a hard time finding it in the grocery store BUT I do substitute spinach)
14 1/2 OZ can diced tomatoes (maybe 2 cans, I love tomatoes)
1-1 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce to taste

Step One- Heat the oil in a large heavy pot.  Dredge the beef in flour and coat it lightly then add to the pan.  Brown the beef for 2-3 minutes.  Add the onions, mushrooms, and garlic.  Cook for 2 minutes, stirring often.  Add the beef broth.  Lightly salt & pepper the soup, cover, and simmer gently for 30 minutes.
Step Two- After 30 minutes, add the winter squash, potatoes, carrots, celery, basil and thyme.  Return to a simmer and cove.  Simmer for an additional 20 minutes.
Step Three- Stir in Swiss chard, tomatoes and Worcestershire sauce, then taste.  If desired, add more salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce to taste.  Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes or until the chard is soft. (I always cook it longer...I think that it makes it better)

It is really really good with shredded Parmesan cheese, asaigo cheese, feta cheese or ANY kind of cheese really on top and crusty bread on the side!  And like any good soup it is super good for leftovers!

Beef dredged in flour

mushrooms, garlic and onions

Beef Broth

Carrots, Celery, Yellow Squash and Potatoes

FRESH Swiss chard from the garden!

tomatoes

topped with feta


No comments:

Post a Comment